We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of Hostelling Scotland, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity, as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with Hostelling Scotland, whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We are currently seeking to appoint a Duty Supervisor to assist the Manager in the day-to-day running of the hostel in providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere for our guests at our Portree Youth Hostel.
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations
- Full reception duties including check-in/out guests, cash handling, handling customer enquiries
- Cleaning rooms and public area and housekeeping including bed making and laundry
- Basic catering including basic food preparation, serving and washing up
- Assisting the Hostel Manager in the day-to-day running of the Youth Hostel
Suitable candidates will:
- Have worked successfully in a customer-facing role, preferably in similar hospitality surroundings
- Have gained experience in reception, cash handling and housekeeping
- Will be IT literate
- Have excellent communication skills and keen attention to detail
- Have the ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised
- Have good understanding of food and hygiene practice
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- Previous similar experience within hospitality, service or tourism industries
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area
- Portree Youth Hostel operates with a small close knit team and requires successful candidates to work closely with colleagues. It is therefore essential that all members are capable and willing to assist each other and maintain team morale to ensure a positive environment for guest experience
- You need to be self-motivated and conscientious as our team at Broadford Youth Hostel is very small and you are mostly working on your own. You will be however well-supported by your colleagues both at the Hostel and throughout the network
- The role involves physical activities such as bed making on upper and lower bunk beds, including stripping and turning beds on a daily basis
- Live-in accommodation available in a shared staff flat (small weekly charge applies).
About Hostelling Scotland:
Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
About Hostelling Scotland
Hostelling Scotland is a not-for-profit charity with over 60 youth and affiliate hostels. Since 1931, we have welcomed visitors from all over the world, providing affordable, welcoming accommodation in some of the best locations across Scotland. We pride ourselves on exceptional service, offering expert local knowledge and a warm welcome to all those with an adventurous spirit and who wish to experience the real Scotland.
We remain true to our ethos and are proud of our charitable objectives, with people and communities at the heart of our organisation. Our charitable youth programmes enable young people to develop their skills for life, learning and work.